1. What type of therapist are you?
I’m a mental health counselor, specializing in anxiety, depression, and trauma. I’m a very client-focused therapist.
I help people work through their past traumas, belief systems, and insecurities while bringing emphasis to their strengths, resilience, and self-awareness.
2. What does your typical day at work look like?
I get in the office around 7:30 am and start to see clients from 8 am until about 6 pm Monday- Friday. I typically have a fully booked calendar knowing that there one or two cancellations throughout the week.
I do not see clients on Thursdays; however, on this day I will work on my website, catch up on administrative tasks and occasionally complete a training course in a new therapeutic modality or attend a class teaching me something new in the mental health field.
I make it a point to not work over the weekends as I’ve learned that self-care is extremely important in this business.
3. What are the pros and cons of your job?
A few pros:
- I love helping people and seeing them grow.
- I get to set my own schedule.
- I determine my client’s treatment plans based on my client’s needs.
- I’m able to visit family and friends on special holidays.
- I get the weekends off.
- I get to meet new people on a regular basis.
- I’m my own boss.
A few cons:
- It’s up to me to market myself, build my website, and bring in new clients.
- I don’t get paid for the time it takes to complete clients’ notes and administrative tasks.
- No paid sick or vacation days.
Are you a therapist? Leave a comment. What are the pros and cons of your job?