There are numerous platforms available as online therapy becomes an essential need, especially during the current pandemic. With so many choices, picking one might be tricky, so we created a list of the top ten online therapy platforms that you can choose from with ease.
If you’re completely new to online therapy, check out our getting started guide for more information about online therapy.
3 Quick Tips for Choosing an Online Therapist
Be honest with yourself. Be honest and detailed about what you’re dealing with and what type of support you’re looking for. “Often clients will send me an email saying I want to improve my self-esteem,” says Kasia. “That may not be enough information for me to know if I’m the right counselor for them. Try to include what you’d like to work on or some of the issues you’ve been struggling with.”
Make sure the therapist is licensed. Whichever therapist you choose make sure they are licensed in your state and are in good standing. Ask for a license number and verify it with the licensing board in your state.
- Ask your potential therapist questions. Figure out if the therapist is the right fit for you and the therapist. Ask your therapist if they feel comfortable treating your symptoms. It’s okay if the therapist refers you to someone else more specialized for your needs. (Read more about questions to ask.)
Top 10 Online Therapy Sites – Updated 04/11/2022
1. BetterHelp.com – #1 Best Overall Online Therapy Provider
BetterHelp is one of the most popular platforms in the US, and it claims it offers e-counseling to more than 5000 people each day in the US.
They provide counseling to teens, couples, and individuals. They have an easy-to-use app that you can access through your laptop, tablet, or Smartphone.
They have more than 15,000 licensed professionals that abide by strict local laws and regulations.
They also have all the needed credentials and certifications to offer a top-tier service. Therefore, you are guaranteed confidentially, privacy, and professionalism.
The subscription at BetterHelp is $65 per week for the initial month, and then it varies between $35 and $80 per week, depending on the contract period.
- Ability to stay anonymous and use a nickname
- Many therapists offer worksheets and encourage live sessions
- Financial aid is available if you are eligible
- Free 7-day trial period
- You can easily change the therapist whenever you want
- Highly rated for helping with symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress
- Response times vary significantly from one therapist to the next
- Some replies from the therapist can feel a bit generic
2. Talkspace.com – #1 for Psychiatry
Talkspace has been around since 2012, and it boasts that fact and its record of helping over one million people.
They even have Michael Phelps as their spokesperson, who talks about how the platform helped him. Talkspace has over 3000 licensed professional therapists that specialize in plenty of fields. Therefore, you can get the help you need with depression, insomnia, trauma, addiction, or other mental health issues.
They use numerous treatment approaches, such as CBT, psychodynamic therapy, and dialectical behavioral therapy. The subscription costs between $65 and $99 per week.
- It supports live sessions
- Easy-to-use app
- 1-Week free trial
- Easy communication through text, video, or audio
- Prompt replies with e-mail notifications
- If you can cancel the subscription, you will get billed for the month regardless
- Some therapists tend to offer short replies
- Matching you with a therapist can take a couple of days
3. Calmerry.com – #1 Newest Online Therapy Platfrom
Calmerry.com is one of the new online therapy platforms, but it is quickly growing and climbing to the top of the list. It is founded by a group of professional EU and American entrepreneurs who want to provide the world with the help it needs in these challenging times.
As of June 1st, they’ve added a new package deal, offering 1 week of therapy for $45.00 (a 50% discount), including unlimited messaging and 1 video session. The platform offers affordable and professional online therapy through a vast roster of experienced and certified therapists. They offer a variety of plans that start from only $45/month. These plans include unlimited text messaging as well as 30-min sessions via video call.
These professionals will provide guidance and support on a wide assortment of mental-health-related issues. These include anxiety, grief, stress, depressions, and much more. The platform is easy-to-use, innovative, and is user-oriented.
- Free Trial for all New Clients
- Great option for clients who want to get value for their money
- Fully licensed therapists with many years of experience
- Secure HIPAA compliant platform for messaging therapy and video therapy
- Therapists specialize in treating a wide range of mental health issues
- Customer support team is friendly and is always ready to help
- You can switch therapists for free and cancel any time
- Does not accept insurance
- New online therapy platform
4. Online-Therapy.com – #1 for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Online-Thearpy.com offers an original approach to online therapy. It has licensed and trained professionals under its service. You can get the opportunity to talk with licensed season counselors.
Of course, it has its pros and cons, but it is an exceptionally good and unique approach.
The licensed online therapy costs $150 a month, and it includes accessible communication with the therapist, including live chat and sessions.
- Affordable online therapy
- Chat for free 24/7 with volunteers and listeners
- Allows you to grow and progress at your own pace
- Group support sessions available (anxiety, LGBTQ+, relationship, etc…)
- Newcomers might be confused about how to start at first
5. PrideCounseling.com – #1 for Gay & Lesbian Therapy
PrideCounseling was launched in 2017 as a part of the BetterHelp therapy platform. It provides the LGBTQ+ community with the support they need. All the professionals are aware of all the issues that the members of the LGBTQ+ community suffer daily. They are well-trained, understanding, friendly, and, most importantly, licensed and HIPAA compliant. It offers its services at a flat fee subscription of $65 per week. It includes unlimited text, audio, and video messaging and one live session each week.
- Live chat and sessions available
- Specializes in all mental health issues of the LGBTQ+ community
- Affordable, with available financial aid to those who are eligible
- Easy and accessible treatment via phone, laptop, or tablet
- HIPAA compliant
- Long questionnaire when signing up
- Matching with a therapist can take up to 24 hours
6. Regain.us – #1 Therapy for Couples
Regain is an online therapy platform that specializes in counseling couples. They can address a wide array of challenges in the relationship, from communication issues to infidelity and trust. All its counselors are trained, accredited psychologists and licensed marriage and family therapists with at least 2000 hours of hands-on therapy experience. It offers a safe space for you and your partner with the ability to talk privately to the therapist. It costs $65 per week, which includes unlimited messaging and one live session each week.
- Focuses on couple’s therapy and problems
- No extra fee if it is a couple or an individual in the sessions
- Couples can attend therapy even when they are not physically in the same location
- Live sessions are encouraged and available
- No live customer support
- No 3-way live video sessions available
- Some therapists reply after 24 hours
7. TeenCounseling.com #1 for Parent, Teenager & Child Counseling
TeenCounseling specializes in treating individuals that are aged between 13 and 19. They have professional therapists that have the experience needed to deal with issues like self-esteem, bullying, eating disorders, stress, and anxiety. It was founded in 2013 with more than 1000 licensed counselors. It has two plans that come with a price tag of $45 and $65 per week.
- Sessions are confidential
- Counselors are well-equipped to deal with teen-related issues
- Private “room” for teens and their therapists
- Live sessions available on-demand or a part of the plan
- Ability to attend the therapy as a parent with no extra charge
- Various communication methods with live sessions
- The platform will not provide a diagnosis
- It does not fulfill court orders
8. FaithfulCounseling.com #1 for Christian Based Therapy
Faithful Counseling has a wide variety of mental and physical health services catering to Faith-based counseling. It was founded in 2012 with a fantastic record of accomplishment.
They have a massive team of psychiatrists and psychologists who offer the support and aid you might need.
They also have free mental health assessments through the screening tool. It will not take more than a few minutes to finish.
The prices vary between $129 and $299 per visit, depending on the session’s time and purpose.
- Upfront and transparent pricing
- Effective medication management and emotional support
- 24/7 availability
- Plenty of options to get the help you need
- Free screening tool available
- No e-mail or chat customer support
- There are minor delays in replies from support
- Video chat is the only option
9. DeafCounseling.com – #1 for the Deaf & Hearing Impaired
DeafCounseling.com offers a unique online counseling platform where all its therapists are Deaf. Owned by two Deaf providers who really know how to cater to their audience.
All therapy sessions are completed in sign language, so there’s no need for interpreters. Unlike other online counseling platforms, they accept many insurance plans, Employee Assistance Programs (EAP), pro bono and sliding scale options, Victim Compensation, and Vocational Rehabilitation Vouchers. As a deaf person, you will be able to seek and get all the help you need.
Whether you need life coaching or suffer from any mental condition, anxiety, depression, or anything else, DeafCounseling is more than prepared to provide the required help and support.
- 100% confidential, HIPAA-compliant
- Offer In-office sessions or videophone and web-based therapy
- Accepts many insurance plans, EAPs, and vocational rehabilitation programs
- Sliding fee scale available
- LBGTQ friendly
- Prices are not listed on the website
- No 24/7 Support
ChoosingTherapy.com is a unique online therapy platform. It does not only offer access to therapists, as it believes that all information regarding mental health should be available for everyone and for free. Therefore, it provides a massive library of articles, guides, and therapy techniques that you can access for free. Once you have all the information that you need, ChoosingTherpay.com offers access to plenty of therapists with different specialties. You can directly book an appointment after finding the best fit for you. You can view the profile of all therapists, which includes all the information you might need to make an educated decision.
- Quick Appointment Status
- Does not accept insurance companies
- Not yet accessible in all states
- No monthly subscriptions
- No unlimited messaging
|Company||Cheapest Price||Financial Aid||Length of Live Session||Insurance||Services||Free Therapy||Android & iPhone App|
|25% off||45 Minute||No||Unlimited Text, Video, Audio Messaging, 1 weekly live session||No||Yes|
|Talkspace||$104/week ($416 month)||no||30 Minute||Yes||Unlimited Text, Video, Audio Messaging, 1 weekly live session||No||Yes|
|no||30 Minute||No||Unlimited Text, Video, Audio Messaging, 1 weekly live session||No||No|
Getting Started with Online Therapy Guide
Benefits of Online Counseling
- Online counseling gives you access to a larger directory of mental health professionals who might be more culturally competent and diverse than local counselors.
- Online counseling gives you the choice of how often and what method of communication you would like to use, helping you feel in control and safe.
- You can refer to old text messages and emails between you and your therapist as a form of reference. They remain secure in your messenger app or email for you to review at any time.
- Online counseling is great for those who struggle with such things as severe trauma, depression, social anxiety, and trust issues. This is a safe way to talk about sensitive issues while in the comfort of your own home. It is often easier to be vulnerable when you trust your surroundings.
- Treatment is more flexible because you are not limited to traditional office hours. It is also a terrific way to stay connected with your therapist while traveling for work or family events. It can be beneficial for couples who are having relationship issues, as well. They can participate in couples therapy online and never have to stop treatment.
Online Counseling Concerns
Though online counseling is effective, there are a few disadvantages that come with the online platform:
- Privacy Issues: Online therapy should be done in a private setting. Make sure your therapist is not outside in public to make sure your conversation remains private and just between you and your counselor. Likewise, if participating in a video conference call, make sure you are in a quiet and private place, as well. This will help you feel more secure.
- Severe Mental Illness: Though online counseling is effective, studies have shown that if you are dealing will severe mental illness, traditional therapy is a more effective form of treatment.
- Internet Connection: To take advantage of the telehealth platform, you will need access to the Internet.
- Lack of Real Human Relationship: You will not feel this too much with video conferencing sessions, but texting messaging, and emailing will limit your connection with the person. There are many benefits in learning how to read someone’s body language for both you and the counselor, especially for those who are looking to work on building stronger relationships and better communication skills.